Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FesterB, Dexter, 19MC70, chevyz1, SirJ
136 Registered Users
Top Posters
Allan 1966
Greg 1911
kc8oye 1433
Phil 793
Sam/bones 659
Davey 494
MC87SS 383
MONTE7071 312
Rob 210
Joe 179
Forum Stats
136 Members
23 Forums
907 Topics
9194 Posts

Max Online: 63 @ 02/04/13 03:15 AM
Topic Options
#9178 - 01/02/16 03:40 PM 76' Olds Cutlass
Greg Offline

Founder
SBC Mouse V8

Loc: Middle East
Well here comes the new years - and what better way to kick it off and break in that new shop then with a new project - amiright?!?!? Oh wait - shops not done yet - oh well screw it.....LOL

I threw out a low ball bid on E-bay for 3500.00 max on a 76 Olds Cutlass and lo and behold I won.

I know, I know - Smog heads!!!11!! No Power!!11!!!eleventy!! Under powered gutless tuna boat!!!! surprise

I.DON'T.CARE.

I've always loved the Old's packages - and (ducks) Think they were a better looking car than the Monte Carlos. And at least it's an A body platform - so I know the suspension set up like the back of my hand with the overhual of my 72 Monte. I know some on the power train on these things as well. I had a 72, a 74 and 77 at various stages in my life - only the 72 was a 'street car' tho, it had a mildly built 455 when I bought it back in the stone age - 1990. That one met it's demise on 495 outside the beltway in 1993 - I got hit by a semi and slammed it in a jersey barrier. or I'd probably still have it - loved that car ....doh

So here we go, Odometer is showing 124,000 on it, Claims that it has been a southern car all it's life, Olds 350 4bbl, Buckets, Console, looks to have had dual exhaust put on, it at least has twin tail pipes showing. Everything is there, including the OEM A/C and Q-Jet - and it seems to be a real nice example of a survivor. Runs and drives fine according to the seller.

Not sure what way I will go with it, it's as far as I know all original and numbers matching car, we'll see when I get my grubby little paws on it if that is true.

I'm thinking just tighten up the suspension a bit, maybe a better set of heads and rear gear swap to a 3 series and call it "done", it would be a shame in my view to hack this thing up.

How about those grandpa inspired 14 inch wheels and white walls - eh??!!

Back window - I don't see any sign of rot under the rear window - hard to say 100% from just a crappy picture on E-bay

Interior shot, this thing seems to have been really well cared for - and power buckets to boot? I'm in!

Ah those mid 70's A Body hoods. Complete with their own zip codes....

https://volunteerpowderservice.com/

#9179 - 01/02/16 05:21 PM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Allan Online   content
Resident Ogre
SBC Mouse V8

Loc: Wherever I am
I like it Greg.

There are tons of things to do if you wanted to "Mod" it and make it a custom but as a driver, I would do as you suggested with a bit better breathing and lower rear, but perhaps consider a 4 speed trans as well. I don't think a Gear Vendors would be much help without modding the floorboards.

For me, 18" Rims and tires, Pull the bumpers off and get them to fit a bit better, looks to need about 2 1/2" narrowing and the front might be pushed up a bit.

Interior kit would do wonders. I was never a fan of Red interiors but at least it's a bucket/console car.

Tightening up the suspension will give you the opportunity to fix the apparent stinkbug stance too. I am guessing moving to larger rims/tires would also require a bit of a lower spring front and rear.

Can't wait to see the pics and the "real story" once you get it home. laugh

#9180 - 01/02/16 08:39 PM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Greg Offline

Founder
SBC Mouse V8

Yeah that 4 speed trans has already crossed my mind Allan.

No matter how you slice it unless it's mostly a track car - three speeds that the General was using back in the day just don't cut it in today's world.

Edited by Greg (01/03/16 01:58 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#9182 - 01/07/16 10:02 PM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Phil Offline
Founder
Anemic 6 pin (Someday you'll be a V8)

Loc: NW Indiana
Nice car. Probably rides nice. I miss my 1978 Mercury Cougar. That thing rode like a Lincoln.

#9189 - 01/28/16 07:55 PM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Greg Offline

Founder
SBC Mouse V8

I think I am sick. I have the blase blues... I can't get excited about this car.

I haven't bought a single part for this thing yet. Not so much as a spark plug....I must have a Fe-vah!

Help me Obi-wan, you're my last hope....

#9190 - 01/29/16 02:15 AM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Allan Online   content
Resident Ogre
SBC Mouse V8

Loc: Wherever I am
I hate getting started on a new project. It always either costs a ton for some nice new bling or it is cheap and just not fun, like doing brakes and suspension, tuning and cleaning.

I guess I prefer the former. At least you get some quick satisfaction.

Realistically though, what are your plans? Keep it stock and drive it or resto-mod or??? I think you said you just wanted a cruiser. Maybe a freshen up on the motor and trans and some nice rims and tires and call it a day. Then the only issue is you will be looking for another project. laugh

How goes the garage?

#9191 - 01/29/16 07:42 AM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Greg Offline

Founder
SBC Mouse V8

Eh, more or less stalled right now Allan, weather has not been cooperating in the least...so hoping this weekend shows some progress, it's drying out and whatnot up there so we might have the roof finished....just have to wait and see.

#9204 - 03/06/16 05:09 PM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Greg Offline

Founder
SBC Mouse V8

So I did get a few minutes to poke around this Cutty.

Like I mentioned in a previous thread -- it's blowing oil past the rings and smoking - carb is a little cranky when cold, and I had to replace the battery.

One thing I saw was the drivers seat was leaning - and titled way further back than seemed normal.
I found four heavy zip ties holding the seat in. No I am not kidding - Zip Ties.

It's Not unbolted at the seat frame - but this is a power seat - some idiot unbolted the seat height actuators from the seat itself. I kid you not. Amazingly the power seat still works... well the machinery that makes it a power seat works - the seat it self doesn't do anything now since they took it off it's moorings. Idjuts!

THEY zip tied the seat to keep it from flipping backwards - I've seen some stupid sh*t done to cars in my day but this one takes the damn cake. doh

Really I heard of the "Detroit Lean" here but this is idiocy - weapons grade - there would have been absolutely no reason for doing this other than to get the seat to do the typical hood approved lay down while driving nonsense.

So that will be first order of business once I am back. I have to pull the seat and frame and get it up to Mick in KY and see if he can fix it.

Some peoples kids man.... I swear.

#9253 - 05/15/16 04:26 PM Re: 76' Olds Cutlass [Re: Greg]
Greg Offline

Founder
SBC Mouse V8

Car is up for sale folks - 2700 OBO.

I just don't have time to screw with it right now.

PM me for details.

Moderator:  MC87SS 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
User_Photos
529/thumbs/bathroom_002.jpg